Sanctuary of the Madonna della Rocca and the miracle of the discovery of the statue of the Madonna
The simulacrum of the Madonna of the fortress it consists of a small statue, high cm. 60, in Parian marble that seems to date back to the Byzantine era and depicts the Virgin Mary wrapped in a decorated and draped mantle with the baby Jesus in her arms, who has her gaze turned towards her mother. according to tradition, this simulacrum was found prodigiously by a blind woman around the years 1620/25. Probably the small statue was hidden on the "rocca ncravaccata" to preserve it from the destructive fury of the Saracens and then found there. The episode of the discovery is not attested by historical sources but is testified by oral tradition: "A poor widow, for the Rosa Innominati people, in old age brought her blind daughter Angelina one day to pick vegetables in the area called" rocca ncravaccata " . Arriving on the spot, Rosa sat her daughter down and advised her not to move until she returned. An angel appeared to Angelina and told her that the Virgin was coming with her child. As soon as she appeared, the Virgin told her to go to the village and tell the priests and the people to go and dig in that place where they would find a simulacrum, and they would erect a sanctuary where they would keep and venerate it. Disturbed Angelina thought that the priests and the people would never believe her because she was blind but here she immediately regained her sight. He went to meet his mother and they both returned to the village and told what had happened. A procession was immediately organized to the cave indicated by the Virgin. They dug, but in their haste they bumped against the simulacrum with a work tool, breaking the virgin's arm at the wrist and the child's left arm at the elbow ». The works for the construction of the sanctuary had not yet begun and the Baron of Resuttana, having learned of the discovery, claimed the simulacrum because the discovery had taken place on his property. He took it to Palermo where it remained until 1873, and sent a copy in its place. The original was then returned to the Sanctuary on March 30, 1873.
Property included in the IWB register of the Sicily Region (Places of the Sacred) - Sector "Places of the Marian Worship"
- Sanctuary of the Madonna della Rocca (Alessandria della Rocca)
Visit Sicilian and Maltese Intangible Cultural Heritage database to learn about other intangible assets
Visit Data Maps Heritage: Set of databases of the Sicilian and Maltese Cultural Heritage and to know other databases (nature, baroque, archeology, material assets and much more)