Former S. Margherita Hospital
Via Incisa 37-39, 39 bis, 41, 41 bis and 43
Founded in 1393 with the name of Santi Simone e Giuda Hospital, rebuilt in 1530 and restored in the following centuries. From 1678 the hospital was cared for by the Benfratelli Fathers, who built the premises for the hospital on the ground floor and their convent on the first floor. Subsequently, the Benfratelli Fathers left the city and the upper floor was also used as a hospital. In 1929, following the foundation of the Ospedali Civili Riuniti, the hospital was definitively abolished. The former hospital became the seat of the Scandaliato barracks and later a private home. The façade is characterized by a Baroque portal from 1727. On top of the portal the coat of arms of the Fatebenefratelli Fathers consisting of a split pomegranate. Looking upwards, you can see Ghibelline battlements, probably part of the original building.
Property bound pursuant to Law 1089/1939 (Declaration prot. 23 of 04.01.94)
Card insertion: Ignazio Caloggero
Photo: Ignazio Caloggero
Information contributions: Ignazio Caloggero, Palazzo Marletta website