Church of the Annunziata - Comiso
The church was built on the remains of the pre-existing Byzantine church of S. Nicola, around 1500. Due to the earthquake of 1693, the temple suffered extensive damage, but was rebuilt in neoclassical style between 1772 and 1793 on a project by the architect. GB Cascione Vaccarini, grandson of GB Vaccarini from Palermo. The dome, designed by the Comisano architect S. Girlando, was completed in 1885. Located at the top of a scenic staircase, the Church has a Latin cross plan and is divided into three naves, with a barrel vault supported by 10 large arches. all sixth. The interior is enriched with works of considerable importance, including a polychrome wooden statue of S. Nicola from the 400th century (coming from the ancient temple), two paintings by S. Fiume depicting the Resurrection and the Nativity, a wooden crucifix attributed to Umile friar from Petralia of the seventeenth century; a valuable canvas of the Assumption of Mary, signed < >.